Friday, July 19, 2013

Too Busy For God


I spent a couple of hours with a good friend several weeks ago, helping her pick out a jacket to complete the ensemble she will wear to her son's wedding next year.  She tried on a few pieces I chose and finally settled on one that would be perfect for a beach wedding; something warm, and casually elegant.  It took a little persuasion on my part to convince my dear friend that the style, pattern, and color combination would look beautiful on her.  I was pleased to hear her say, "You know, you're right!  This does look good...I would never have chosen this on my own."  She was relieved and happy, and I was rewarded with several baskets full of succulent blackberries from her lush garden. . . along with a borrowed book about care-free plants and a large bag of plant cuttings for a yard "experiment" of mine.  We always have a fun time together!

 As I drove home I was thanking the Lord for the fellowship and the opportunity to cultivate a cherished friendship.  Nothing trumps face-to-face interaction.  Seeing a friend's smile, talking about the latest events in our lives, hearing the laughter, and sharing a cup of coffee/meal is truly a blessing.   Even if one prefers to use the phone, social media, or pen and paper, it takes time, effort, and willingness to maintain a relationship that one considers important.  Don't get me started with the "I've been too busy..." line; we are all busier than we should be!  With all the tools that are available to "reach out and touch someone" there may not be a viable excuse when asked, "Why haven't I heard from you lately?" 
 
The Lord has been asking me the same question.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment