Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas Peace
















In just two days we celebrate Christmas.  Tomorrow my son and I wake up early to do some last-minute shopping for a couple more gifts, buy some potatoes,  a block of cheese, a box of crackers, a few bottles of Martinelli's...and a partridge in a pear tree!  I know I missed something on the list, but my mind is foggy right now from the busyness of the last few weeks.  Taking time to actually rest is a conscious choice these days.  Instead of rushing off to bake a Brownie Caramel Walnut Pie (See recipe below) I choose to sit comfortably on the couch to write...to relax...to breathe.  

Of course, the chores of tomorrow and worries of today linger in the back of my mind trying to prevent the inner peace I long for from becoming an actuality.  As much as I'd like to strive for peace in my everyday life  I cannot do it on my own.  Struggling to regain some semblance of serenity amidst the chaos of life is like holding an umbrella against the strong gusts of wind and rain in a storm.  Because the battle is often emotionally draining I find myself surrendering to my default mode:  worrying and trying to survive the day.  It can be a never-ending cycle.  

As a Christian, I know where I can turn to when I become overwhelmed, not only during the Christmas season, but for all seasons of my life.  God's peace transcends anything the world has to offer.  In order for us to experience this peace, however, we have to take time out to read God's word, meditate upon it, and apply its wisdom to our lives. 

Here are a few verses on God's peace:

"You will guard him and keep him in perfect and constant peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he commits himself to You, leans on You, and hopes confidently in You.Isaiah 26:3

"Acquaint now yourself with Him and be at peace; by that good shall come to you."  Job 22:21

"Peace I leave with you; My peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid."  John 14:27

Let us seek His peace as we focus on the birth of Jesus this CHRISTmas.  

      ***************************************************** 

 Brownie Caramel Walnut Pie

1 (9 inch) unbaked pastry shell  
1/2 C chopped walnuts
20 caramels, unwrapped
1 (14 oz.) condensed milk
1 egg, beaten
2 T margarine/butter melted
1 (6 oz.) package semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted

1.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  
2.  Sprinkle nuts into pastry shell.
3.  In a small saucepan, over low heat, melt caramels with 2/3 cup condensed  milk and spoon over walnuts.   
4.  In mixing bowl, combine egg, margarine, and remaining condensed milk; mix well.
5.  Stir in melted chips and pour chocolate mixture over caramel layer.
6.  Bake 35 minutes or until center is set.  Cool.

Serve warm or chilled.    
           















2 comments:

  1. We continue to be inspired by your writing. Thank you for bringing back Tea With Bea. Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too kind, Caroline. Thank you! My prayer is to have tea with you all next month! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete